How to successfully follow your passion
If I had a nickel for all the times I’ve read, or heard, the words “do what you love and the money will follow” I wouldn’t need to work… I’d be rich! I don’t totally disagree with the sentiment. I do believe it’s important to enjoy what you do. After all, whether it’s a job or your own business, you probably spend more hours doing it than most other things in your life. It makes for an awfully long day, and unhappy life, if you hate your work. Additionally, if you’re trying to get rich doing something you hate, good luck with that. It will likely be tough to stick with it long enough for it to pay off.
However, passion alone does not make a successful business.
You also need to be sure you have a solid business idea, that you manage the business properly, and that you market it effectively.
Passion + Business Basics = Success
So, when I ran across this article on CNN about a mother who decided to open a family-friendly tattoo shop, I had to share. It provides a great example of someone who against many odds is following her heart and is actually succeeding.
Here are 9 reasons I believe she’s succeeding:
- She took the time to master her craft before opening her business
- She brought management skills from her previous career into her business
- She identified a need in the marketplace that was not being filled, and filled it
- She tapped into a growing market
- She identified a unique brand positioning and made it the center-point of her business
- She identified a specific segment of the market to serve
- She focuses on helping people
- She’s persistent, despite the critics
- She accepts the risks and uncertainties of business and views her business as an adventure
I’d say she’s a great example of how to follow your passion the right way! I hope she inspires others to marry their passion with smart business sense, persistence, and marketing, instead of simply expecting that just because they love what they do, the universe (and customers) will support them.